Habitat for Humanity is a non-profit, ecumenical Christian housing ministry whose purpose is to build homes with families and sell the homes at no interest for no profit. In order to apply, potential families must meet the following eligibility requirements and income guidelines based on family size:
- Live or work in Fond du Lac County for at least one year prior to applying
- Have a steady source of income for at least two years prior to applying
- Have not claimed bankruptcy or had a foreclosure on/in the last two years
Family Size 1-2
Household income not more than: $42,350
Household income at least: $23,150
Family Size 3-5
Household income not more than: $57,150
Household income at least: $29,750
Family Size 6 or more
Household income not more than: $69,850
Household income at least: $38,350
Family selection is based on need for adequate housing, ability to repay a no-interest mortgage, and willingness to partner with Habitat through the building of their home.
For More Information
Before proceeding with an application, we ask that you coordinate a short meeting with our Office to go through the application and dispel any immediate questions. Please call the Habitat for Humanity Office at (920) 921-6623 or email to make an appointment. If you would like you could bring the filled out application, application fee and a completed income worksheet with you.
*Please note, if you are going to use the fillable application that is linked above, DO NOT use the “tab” button to go to the next field. You must click into the space to edit the text. “Tab” will not move you to the next field, it will only move the cursor within the current field.
Ability to Pay
Ability to pay is determined by information provided and collected during the application process.
Information on the paper application, pay stubs, benefit statements, previously filed federal tax returns, and credit reports are examples of the resources used to determine this ability.
APPLICANTS MUST HAVE:
- a steady, reliable source of income and demonstrate financial responsibility
- the ability to pay a monthly house payment (taxes and insurance included)
- the ability to pay projected monthly utilities (electric/gas & water/sewer)
- NOT have filed for bankruptcy within the past two (2) years
- NOT have outstanding collections, liens or judgments that cannot reasonably be paid by the completion of the home build
- the ability to make a down payment of 2% of the final mortgage amount ($500 due before the beginning of construction)
There Must Be A Demonstrated Need In Order To Qualify For A Habitat Home
Need is determined by a family’s current living conditions.
Some examples of need are outline below (this list is not all-inclusive).
Structural/mechanical problems in building
Visible holes or large cracks, leaks, hazardous/toxic materials, electrical problems, plumbing problems, appliances not working
Inadequate sleeping arrangements
More than 2 persons share a room, different gendered children sharing a room, persons having to sleep on the floor
Unsanitary conditions or health risks
Bugs, rodents, sewage or mold problems, stairway in disrepair, allergy concerns
Temporary or transitional housing
Family currently living with relatives, family in emergency shelter, homelessness
Current housing does not meet the physical needs
Unable to obtain a conventional mortgage
Willingness to Partner
A partner family must be willing to complete “sweat-equity” hours.
“Sweat-equity” is when a partner family takes part in building their own home and other Habitat homes and may include activities such as clearing the lot, painting, helping with construction, working in the Habitat office, or other approved activities.
- A two-adult household is required to perform a minimum of 500 hours.
- A single-adult family is required to complete 300 hours.
- A portion of the sweat equity hours can be completed by family and friends.
- All of the hours must be completed before the partner family can purchase the home.
In addition, the partner family must also be willing to attend home buyer education classes.